Sunday, November 15, 2020

My Deropeltis Rematch...

Ty Schaben Order Pt. 2/8
««« Previous post in series • Next post in series »»»

Back to me and Ty's package. As some of you may remember, I once got a starter colony of Deropeltis sp. "Jinka", "Black velvet roaches" from Roachcrossing a few years back, that I was unfortunately unable to breed due to attempting to follow the humidity advice listed on that site ("dry substrate, but high air humidity"...). Unfortunately that species has now been lost from US culture, and it seems they may no longer be in culture even in Europe or Asia... 😞 
However, there is a very similar species that's still in culture in Europe, Deropeltis sp. "Masai Mara", and I've now got a sexed pair of nymphs of that species to work with! 😁

I've got them in a well ventilated gallon container with coconut fiber as the substrate, with bark and cardboard rolls for hides. I've asked around, and it seems most Europeans just give their Deropeltis spp. a horizontal humidity gradient (half the enclosure dry, half the enclosure humid), with good success, so that's what I'll be doing for mine, (and what I should have done for my old sp. "Jinka"). I'm keeping them at around 75F°, and am feeding them chick feed, fruits, and I'll maybe offer artificial pollen on occasion.

Here are some pictures of a nymph pair:

Hopefully they do well for me, they are such cute and personable roaches, I was very sad when I was unable to breed the sp. "Jinka", really hoping I can do right by this similar species though! 🤞

Well, that's gonna do it for this post, I hope everyone enjoyed, thanks for reading, stay safe, and I'll see you all next time! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment