Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Oniscus asellus & Porcellio bolivari Updates!


A few months ago, I noticed some weird individuals popping up in my Oniscus asellus "Mardi Gras Dalmatian" colony. After closer inspection, I noticed these specimens were almost completely patternless, with just some yellow flecks and a few dark "freckles" here and there, which were barely visible.

I found three of these individuals in total, and isolated them immediately. Sadly, one died randomly a few weeks after isolation, seemingly due to an overwatering issue. Luckily the remaining two are a male and a female, and both are doing great and should breed soon!

Here are a few pictures of them, mostly the largest individual:

These pictures were taken shortly after isolation, since then they have grown quite a bit, and the larger individual has lost almost all of the dark "freckles" that were already barely visible. 😁 Hopefully I can isolate a pure white strain soon! (Well, white with some yellow splotches! 😛).

In other Oniscus related news, I just completed a trade with Bo Syroney for 10 small Oniscus asellus "Maple Orange", and they have all arrived alive and well! 😄

I have them set up in a medium sized Tupperware with moderate ventilation, a thin, moist layer of Zilla "Jungle Mix" as the substrate, and some eggcrate pieces as hides. I also added a layer of dead oak leaves on top of the substrate, and am feeding them chick feed and carrot pieces as well.

My plan is to get a colony established of this color morph, and then I want to cross them with my Oniscus asellus "Mardi Gras Dalmatians" to create an orange dalmatian morph of sorts! 😍 This has been a dream of mine for a while now, I really hope I can do it! But if for some reason I can't, Bo will also be trying to do the same thing, so hopefully between the two of us we can isolate an orange dalmatian morph! (Like what has been done with Porcellio scaber).

Anyway, here is a picture of one of them:

Fingers crossed they do well for me and I can cross them successfully with my O.asellus "MGD"!!! I will be sure to keep you all updated on them! 😉

My Porcellio bolivari are doing pretty well, over the past few months I have managed to get two of my females to give birth, so I have a good amount of mancae now! 😃 Unfortunately two of my five females did die randomly though, and the male I originally had in with them was cannibalized upon shortly after introduction, so it hasn't been a complete success... 😕

Still, I've got mancae now, which are growing very well, and my remaining females are doing great, (as are the two males I have in isolation), so this breeding attempt is still going a lot better than the last one! 😊

Anyway, here are some pictures I took of my large males:

And here are the little mancae!!! 😁

Hopefully the colony continues this upward trend, I look forward to the day when I have a fully established colony of this beautiful species!

Well, that's gonna do it for today's post, thanks for reading, hope everyone enjoyed, will see you all next time! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment