Friday, February 26, 2021

Happy Roach Updates!

My last two subadult Hemithyrsocera vittata nymphs have matured over the last week or so, and I'm thrilled to say that one is 100% a male! 😁 And the other was another female, so now I've got three adult females and an adult male, as well as one less than half grown, unsexed nymph. Should be getting lots of fertile ooths this generation, looking forward to seeing babies here soon! 😄

No pictures, because man are these things difficult to photograph, and the males of this species look the same as the females really, so... 😅

Speaking of Ectobiids, the Balta notulata nymphs are doing great, there's only 5-6 of them in total, but some of them are subadults already, so I'm going to have adults very soon, and probably babies not too long after that. 😄 
I attempted getting clear pictures of my nymphs, but was only able to get two half decent shots, one of which really illustrates how well they can blend in with bark I guess... 😂 

Well, better than nothing! 😅 Looking forward to having a big bustling colony of this species soon, and hopefully I'll be able to spread them around in the hobby better this time around! 

My second, smaller Macropanesthia rhinoceros nymph molted to L5 successfully, woo-hoo!!! 😁 And I can now confirm that both of them are females. That may seem bad to some people, since I did end up with a unisex pair, BUT males are far easier to find on the market than females, so I should have no problem getting a male for them later on, whereas if I had ended up with two males, finding a mate for them would be much harder.

Here are some pictures of the smaller, now L5 nymph:

Both my nymphs

So cute! ☺ Will be sure to keep you updated on their progress! 

Lastly, a week or two ago, another one of my Perisphaerus pygmaeus females gave birth, so hooray for that! 😁 Now I'm sure to get all the females born in the last two broods mated with the males from this brood, so the colony should be safe now. 

Here are some OK pictures of an adult female, it's really hard to get them in focus when they're on a heavily textured surface, the camera tends to focus on the wood rather than the roach:

Glad these are doing well for me, such a unique species! 

Well, that's gonna do it for this post, thanks for reading, hope everyone enjoyed, stay safe, and I'll see you all next time! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment